Lionel Messi announces his retirement from the Argentina national team after 20 years. Read his emotional farewell message about his journey, teammates, family, fans, and his love for Argentina.
Lionel Messi’s Emotional Retirement Announcement
After an extraordinary 20-year journey with the Argentina national team, Lionel Messi has announced his decision to retire from international football.
For one of the greatest footballers in history, the decision was clearly not an easy one. In his emotional message, Messi reflected on his deep love for the Argentina shirt, his gratitude toward the fans, his family and teammates, and the immense pride he feels as an Argentine.
Below is the statement provided in the original text:
After this time that has passed since the final, thinking about it a lot, I want to inform everyone that I am retiring from the National Team...
It was a decision that hurt and still hurts in the soul, but I understand that it's the right time. I swear I always gave everything, not just the last few years when I won everything before that too, and I always fought and gave everything for this jersey, to bring them joy and make them proud to be Argentinians through football.
There's not much left and stages are closing, and this one hurts me a lot. I love, loved, and will always love being in the National Team. I've emptied myself, I no longer have anything left to give, and besides, there are very big kids coming up who deserve to be there.
Thank you for all the love over these 20 years. I'm going to miss hearing from you from the inside a lot. Now I'm going to be one of you, always cheering and supporting from the outside (in the good times and the bad, even more).
Thanks to my family for always being there, for accompanying me on this beautiful but difficult journey. Thanks to each of the coaches, teammates, and leaders I had the chance to share with. I take away memories and unforgettable moments lived.
I'm leaving with the peace of mind and pride of having given them, together with my colleagues, the moments they dreamed of. It was crazy to have lived it with you. I love you!
Thank God for making me Argentine.
Go Argentina!
I wrote these words on July 21, two days after the final. Today, after what happened to my dad, I'm more convinced than ever.
The Meaning Behind Messi’s Farewell
Messi’s message is more than just a retirement announcement. It reflects the emotional bond he has shared with the Argentina national team throughout two decades.
His international career included unforgettable highs and painful disappointments. From difficult defeats and criticism to historic victories, Messi experienced almost every emotion possible while wearing the Argentina shirt.
Throughout his message, he emphasized that he always tried to give everything for his country. Making Argentine fans happy and making them proud through football remained one of his biggest motivations.
A Journey Filled With Historic Achievements
Messi’s international journey became one of the defining stories of modern football. His career with Argentina was filled with moments that will remain in football history.
After years of heartbreak on the international stage, Messi eventually experienced some of the biggest triumphs of his career with Argentina. Those achievements transformed the narrative surrounding his national-team career and cemented his legacy as an Argentine football icon.
His journey was not simply about trophies. It was also about perseverance, resilience, loyalty and an unwavering commitment to his country.
Messi’s Emotional Final Words
Among the most emotional lines in his farewell message are:
“Thank God for making me Argentine.
Go Argentina!” 🇦🇷❤️
These words perfectly capture Messi’s connection with his homeland and the national team.
For millions of Argentine supporters and football fans around the world, Messi wearing the Argentina shirt became a symbol of an entire generation.
The End of an Era
Lionel Messi’s departure from the Argentina national team would mark the end of one of the most remarkable chapters in international football.
For two decades, fans watched him create unforgettable moments, overcome setbacks and ultimately achieve historic success with his country.
Even after his international career comes to an end, Messi’s name will remain permanently connected to Argentina’s football history.
It is not simply goodbye. It is the closing of a legendary chapter. 🇦🇷⚽❤️

